Each of the three school districts, , and will have three Board of Education seats up for grabs come the November general election on Nov. 6.
Legal requirements for becoming a member of a local Board of Education are as follows:
- A citizen of the United States of America
- At least 18 years of age
- An ability to read and write
- One-year residency in the district, prior to date of election
- No interest in any contract with or claim against the board
- A registered voter in the district
- Not disqualified as a voter uner N.J.S.A. 19:4-1
- Not hold office as Mayor or member of the governing body of the same district
The New Jersey School Boards Association has published an online Candidate Kit with information for citizens interested in running for a position on their local board of education in November 2012. The kit includes directions on obtaining and filing a nominating petition, as well as information about legal qualifications for school board candidacy and the role of the school board member. Background about the New Jersey School Ethics Act and important dates in the school election process are also included in the kit.
Petitions are available in each district's respective Board of Education office: the second floor of Cherry Hill School, 410 Bogert Road, River Edge; 350 Prospect Avenue, Oradell; and 230 Woodland Avenue, River Edge.
Petitions can also be picked up by visiting the Bergen County Clerk's Office, Election Division, One Bergen County Plaza Room 130, Hackensack. The Election division is open from 9am to 4pm Monday through Friday.
The petition mst be filed with the Bergen County Clerk's Election Division on or before 4pm the day of the June Primary, June 5.