Democratic assembly members Connie Wagner and Tim Eustace are organizing an online donation drive for storm-ravaged victims who are now entering the recovery and clean-up phase from Hurricane Sandy.
After meeting with so many residents who lost their homes, Wagner and Eustace wanted to add much needed support to the devastation caused by Sandy.
"For all those who have completely lost their homes, our heart goes out to them," Wagner said. "There are also many residents who have monumental clean-up and recovery efforts ahead of them."
By partnering with Amazon.com, Wagner and Eustace have set up an "wish list" where, with one click, residents can purchase much-needed items directly and have them shipped to the legislators' district office where they will be handed out to those in need.
"While Sandy brought us her worst, our residents have shown us their best in her aftermath," said Eustace. "I know the people of our state are resilient and generous of heart and eager to pitch in wherever they can. This is one way to help ease the recovery process for families with massive clean-up projects on their hands."
The "Wagner & Eustace Hurricane Sandy Recovery for NJ" wish list can be accessed here. Among the many items requested are cleaning supplies, paper towels, trash bags, batteries, flashlights, transistor radios, and granola bars.
"Every little bit we can do to assist them in tackling these challenges helps. Many people have asked how they can pitch in and this is a great first step," Wagner said.
Wagner and Eustace have also been working around the clock to help answer questions for constituents who have run into a wide-range of problems and direct them to the proper resource. The lawmakers also provided a listing of important emergency contact information to help residents address their needs directly:
- FEMA - To register to receive assistance: 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or visit: www.disasterassistance.gov/
- Volunteering - 1-800-Jersey-7 (1-800-537-7397)
- Port Authority of NY & NJ - 201-595-4530 or 201-595-4531
- Pet Rescue - 1-855-407-4787 (1-855-407-HSUS)
- 24/7 Health Experts - 2-1-1
- Food Safety/Water Safety - 1-866-234-0964
- Report Price Gouging - 862-209-0130 or 973-220-3474
- Disaster Mental Health Helpline - (toll free) 1-877-294-HELP (4357) or 2-1-1
- Statewide Hurricane Sandy Business Recovery Assistance - 1-866-534-7789 or visit: http://www.nj.gov/njbusiness/
- For Gas Stations to Report Service Delivery Problems - call: 609-858-6900 or email: SandyGas@njeda.com
- Wagner & Eustace Legislative Office: (P) 201-576-9199 or (E) AswWagner@njleg.org and (E) AsmEustace@njleg.org