During the River Edge reorganization meeting on Jan. 1, the borough welcomed two new faces as Thomas Sarlo was appointed borough attorney and Jeffrey Carney as the new public defender. All other legal appointments remained the same for the new year.
"I would like to welcome our new borough attorney Mr. Sarlo," Councilman Edward Mignone said. "And I want to thank someone that is not here, our former borough attorney Sam Cereste. Sam served this borough in many capacities over the years as borough attorney and planning board attorney. He is a consummate gentleman and he will be missed on this dais."
This year's re-appointments included Prosecutor Gina Calogero, Labor Attorney Matthew Giacobbe, the auditing firm of Lerch, Vinci & Higgins, Marc Ramundo as alternate prosecutor, Tax Appeal Attorney Alan Spiniello, Bruce Safro as Borough Judge and Arthur Neiss as the Planning Board attorney. Former municipal defender Sarah Resch was named an alternate to Carney for 2013.
The borough also welcomed new and returning volunteers to various commissions, committees and boards.
The Planning Board will see Ellen Busteed upgraded from her prior alternate position to a full seat while David Glass, Eileen Boland and Gerald Clark all join for first year terms.
The Zoning Board of Adjustment welcomed James Levis back as an alternate and Al Ruhlmann moved to a full seat on the board. Newcomers to the Zoning Board were Karen Glass, Gary Esposito, Tony Arturi and Matt Clement.
"We have between 15 and 16 borough employees but probably 500 volunteers," Mayor Sandy Moscaritolo said. "Volunteers who I just swore in and many others that could not be here that make this town function with great activities and services they provide."
Additional re-appointments included:
- Phyllis Angelo and Harold DeYoung - Historic Preservation
- Jennifer Dougherty, Margot Pohl - Shade Tree Commission
- Kathleen Milk, Christine Alexious, Karen Sabatello - Beautification
- Sheli Dansky, Greg Ogden Liz Stewart, Valerie Duran, Chris Leishman, Jonathan Rochlin, Patty Almberg, Claudia O'Neill, Wendy Rosenoff, Bonnie Stewart, Della Carroll, Maureen Nobile, Jeff Malwitz, Ellen Busteed - Green Team
- Michael O'Dea - Rent Leveling Board
- Moran Moran, Luisa Carrier, Dennis Fiedler - Social Services
- Mary Gannon 0 Board of Health
- Patricia Dalton, Janey Boyd - Library Board of Trustees
Juliet Forte (Library Board), Dr. Joseph Friedlander (Board of Health), Marie Papaleo, Gennaro Rotello and Jim Miller (Environmental Protection), and Joellen Schlossberg (Green Team) were all newly appointed volunteers.