Two weeks ago, I went to the midnight premiere of the final Harry Potter movie. As I stood in line to get into the theater for two hours, I tried to remind myself of why I came in the first place: spending time with cousins who adore the franchise. I enjoy the Harry Potter story very much and recognize its brilliance, but I never had the desire to dress up as a wizard while rereading the enormous texts on the floor outside the door of the movie theater. Instead, to pass the time, I read magazines, chit-chatted with family and munched on the most delicious movie snack I have ever tasted – white chocolate peanut butter popcorn. It was so good that I could not wait for the movie to start before I reached the bottom of the bag. Since I slept through most of the movie anyway, this wasn’t much of an issue.
I made another batch a few days ago before I went to a Phillies vs. Giants baseball game in Philadelphia because I figured it would be perfect for when hunger sets in around the sixth inning. As excited as I was for the game and my tasty treat, the crowd was not as enthused. There were some mixed emotions about my presence. Many were curious about where I got such an interesting snack amongst the typical hot dog and French fry stands, and many were simply insulted by my dad’s Giants t-shirt. They warmed up to us, however, after I gave them this simple recipe! I think I am the first non-Phillies fan to be accepted as one of the gang at Citizen’s Bank Park. Talk about a super food! This popcorn creates peace and cures hunger!
Here’s why you should try this tasty snack: it satisfies the both a salty and sweet craving, it’s a better version of the M&M poured into the popcorn trend, it’s extremely easy and best of all, it is much cheaper than the five to six dollars that theaters and stadiums are charging for a small bag of popcorn. Pack your own, with fancy toppings like peanut butter and white chocolate, and then be prepared to be envied.
What’s also great about this snack is its versatility in flavor and use. If you’re not a fan of peanut butter or white chocolate, try caramel and milk chocolate! Or dark chocolate! Get creative – the possibilities are endless! This popcorn is also appropriate for any casual outing or celebration. Bring it to the beach or wrap small portions and hand them out as party favors!
White Chocolate Peanut Butter Popcorn
Original recipe and photos by Julianne Hodges
Total time: 10 minutes Yield: 3-4 servings
- 1 bag popped popcorn
- About 2 tbsp peanut butter (you can use as much or as little as you like!)
- About 1 cup white chocolate chips or pieces (same as peanut butter – add more or less to your liking)
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper and spread the popped popcorn on the sheet.
- Place the peanut butter in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each. Stop when the peanut butter becomes a liquid texture.
- Drizzle the peanut butter over the popcorn evenly.
- Microwave the white chocolate in 30 second intervals, stirring after each until completely melted.
- Drizzle the white chocolate over the popcorn evenly.
- Place the popcorn in the refrigerator for at least twenty minutes or until the chocolate and peanut butter has solidified. Allow it to come to room temperature before serving or packaging.
For clarification, I’m really a Yankees fan. I only root for the Giants when they are playing the Phillies! Also, the snippets of Harry Potter that I caught between naps were excellent! I admit, although I am not a hardcore fan, the movie was pretty great. I recommend it to everyone!