"We're developing this program to promote a healthy lifestyle for our residents through fitness and nutrition," Moscaritolo said.
Moscaritolo, along with Councilwoman Kathleen Murphy and Niamh van Meines, are busy finalizing programs, wellness events and activities for River Edge residents.
"We are so excited to offer all of these fitness options to the residents free of cost," Murphy said. According to Murphy, the program will run in three month increments throughout the year.
In addition to health and fitness programs, the campaign will include speakers, presentations on healthcare decisions and advanced directives and Cooking with the Mayor. Former restauranteur, Mayor Sandy Moscaritolo, will be cooking heart healthy meals at a number of local restaurants. Stay tuned for more details on that.
The Wellness Campaign officially kicks off on Sept. 27. with River Edge resident, and fitness trainer and instructor, Eileen Tessalone, teaching FREE Friday Night Fit Club, fitness classes. The classes will be held every Friday from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m at the New Bridge Center Project Room. Bring a mat, water & a towel. Must be 16 or older to sign up. In order to participate, you must bring a partner.
There will also be the Biggest Loser Competition. If you have a few pounds you would like to shed, this competition can give you the support you need. Niamh van Meines, a nurse practitioner and volunteer on River Edge's Volunteer Ambulance Service has successfully helped ambulance service members to lose weight and lead healthier lives. Now this competition is available to River Edge residents.
Weigh-ins will be held each Monday at the River Edge Ambulance Building at 7 p.m. The Ambulance Building is located at 210 Continental Ave, River Edge (next to Memorial Park). If you sign up for the Friday Night Fit Club, you can weigh in then also. Can't make it? Sign up and email email@example.com
Click here to follow the Wellness Campaign on Facebook and get wellness tips, learn about upcoming events and more.
Below is a list of all the programs that have been scheduled to date. Patch will provide updates as more programs are added. Also, click here to visit the Mayor's Wellness Campaign web page.
- Friday Night Fit Club -- Eileen Tessalone, Certified Personal Trainer
- Biggest Loser Competition -- Niamh van Meines, nurse practitioner and River Edge volunteer ambulance corps. member. This event is being sponsored by Anita DaSilva, State Farm Agent. The winner of this event will receive a $500 prize.
- Walking Groups:
- Eileen Busteed & Kit Clarke Tuesday at 9:15 a.m. in front of library
- Eileen Hanrahan Wednesday 7:15 p.m. in front of library
- Group Walks with Annie Wechsler Friday and Saturday mornings
- Pack Walk with Your Dog Sunday at 3 p.m. with Frank Pugliese
- Tennis Monday 6 p.m. with Harry van Meines
- Boot Camp in Memorial Park with Evette Halligan beginning Oct. 5.
- Yoga at FMA with Evette Halligan beginning in Nov.
- Cooking with the Mayor
- Nutrition Presentation with nutritionist Chrissie Grivas
- Farmers Market for Spring 2014
- Yoga class with Krishna -- Free
- CPR Course with Niamh van Meines
- Walking school bus -- Roosevelt and Cherry PTO
- Bike to School Day -- Roosevelt and Cherry PTO
- National Healthcare Decisions Day with Niamh van Meines
- Advance Directive presentation with Niamh van Meines
- Author and River Edge resident Dr Doug Levine will be speaking at the River Edge Library on Sept 24 at 7 p.m. Topic will be stress management and cancer.
- Belly Dancing Class with Amira Mor
- Kid events
- Hackensack University Medical Center (HUMC) and 24 Hour Fitness participation in events.
"I'm confident that River Edge has what it takes to win," he said with a smile.