Do you have a passion for helping people? Interested in the medical field? If so, the River Edge or Oradell/New Milford Ambulance Corps is perfect for you.
The was officially incorporated in 1949 and began its first 24-hour schedule on June 1st, 2007 at 7am. The was incorporated in 1937 and also provides 24-hour service.
Here's five things you need to know about joining:
1. What will I gain from this experience? Volunteers will learn how to respond to emergency situations, a lifelong benefit. Team work is another benefit – there are currently about 20 volunteers, a dozen of who are active members who are willing to show you the ropes.
2. How will you connect with your community? You’ll get to know the town and what’s going on at all times. And in return, you'll have the satisfaction of giving back to the town and helping your fellow residents in need.
4. What qualifications do I need to volunteer? All prospective members must be at least 16 years of age, currently certified in CPR, currently certified as an Emergency Medical Technician, be physically capable of performing EMT duties, and must submit an application to the Corps.
4. What does it cost to be trained? Training to be certified in CPR or as an EMT is free. It currently takes 120 hours to complete training. Training is available at the Police and Fire Academy in Mahwah or at the Bergen County Emergency Medical Services Training Center in Paramus. Classes are available at various times throughout the year.
5. What does it take to become a fulltime rider? It takes one 12-hour shift during the week and one 12-hour shift on the weekends once a month to be considered fulltime. However, any hours volunteers can give is greatly appreciated.
For more information on joining the Oradell/New Milford Ambulance Corp, drop by 213 River Road, New Milford any night after 6pm to talk to members and fill out an application; email email@example.com or call 201-265-3251.
For more information on joining the River Edge Volunteer Ambulance Service, visit 210 Continental Avenue in River Edge; email REVAS@RiverEdgeNJ.org or call 201-261-8094.