The patio is the connection between the driveway, lawn and home. It is an extension of the interior of the home and is very important. The patio is a connection between indoor (home) and backyard living space.
There are many things to take into consideration when thinking about creating a patio from scratch, such as how do you want to exit your home, do you want to create a multi-level patio and separate the eating, grilling and entertainment areas?
The following items are important and must be taken into consideration:
- The most important is the space, you need generous space
- Need to go bigger when creating a patio b/c you can fill it quickly
- You have to keep in mind that you will be filling it with furniture and have tothink about the organization of that furniture
- Borst has never heard that a patio was too big or that the furniture or fireplace was too large
- Exposure is also important when creating a patio
- Borst has designed pergolas that filter sunlight and are also a great architectural feature
- You can even add vines for more coverage and aesthetic
- You can even create a grilling area with a multi-level patio tied together with seat walls, which are a trend (a retaining wall)
- Separate spaces define area and are multi-functional
- You can even tie-in an outdoor kitchen with the patio
- Water and lighting are also important when creating your backyard space.
- If you choose to go mutli-level, exterior lighting is very important. You can also break up the space with a planting bed to separate the areas as well, even if it’s not multi-tiered.
- Add a water feature to your backyard area as well. This adds a great soothing effect and is very natural. It can attract a variety of birds and butterflies and ties in the wildlife with the plant materials. Add some fish.